This Tuesday...
This Tuesday started out different from any Tuesday of our lives. After 4 and a half hours of Pitocin and extreme contractions, we were both physically and emotionally spent. Sarah's condition was unchanged from the previous night. The midwife advised us to consider starting an epidural. At this point the decision was not so difficult to make. We really had confidence in the midwife and felt this would be best for a healthy delivery.
So it began, I was fascinated by the whole process, but felt very helpless in comforting Sarah. I prayed for God's peace to be over the delivery room. For His peace to cover Sarah and the baby and each and every person in that place. His peace was there. I slept for a few brief hours. And no, I didn't sleep on an empty stomach! The cafeteria makes a great chili dog!
Sarah slept for a few brief hours and soon it was time! 4:00 we would begin. Yesterday at 4:00 Sarah was telling me I needed to head home and now, we are just moments from delivery!
Priscilla and I readied ourselves for the last few minutes of a miracle unfolding. Sarah began to push and was so at peace, so relaxed.
Just a few more contractions, you're doing well. Breathe, push, breathe...and before I knew it I was cradling the baby's head and grasping for any non-slip surface! I held the baby up and looked into the eyes, the midwife prompted me with the question on everyone's mind except mine, "What is it?" she asked.
Ah yes, glancing down to confirm a prior quiet knowledge, I proudly exclaimed, "It's a BOY!"
What more could I say after that? I was filled with such joy- a deeperkindajoy, joy indescribable. Through tears, I held my son close and whispered a prayer of blessing into his beautiful ear. He was quiet, attentive, almost motionless. And then a squirm and a powerful kick!
I gently layed him down on his mother and we smiled and giggled at each other. Priscilla said, "See what happens when you fool around!" The student nurse looked shocked but we all laughed out loud!
Each morning we have read from Psalms and Proverbs. This Monday, running late for work, I had thought to skip it but stayed to read. And today we come to the final two Psalms of Ascents. I read them aloud...
Psalm 1331 How good and pleasant it is when God's people live together in unity! 2 It is like precious oil poured on the head, running down on the beard, running down on Aaron's beard, down on the collar of his robe. 3 It is as if the dew of Hermon were falling on Mount Zion. For there the LORD bestows his blessing, even life forevermore.
So it began, I was fascinated by the whole process, but felt very helpless in comforting Sarah. I prayed for God's peace to be over the delivery room. For His peace to cover Sarah and the baby and each and every person in that place. His peace was there. I slept for a few brief hours. And no, I didn't sleep on an empty stomach! The cafeteria makes a great chili dog!

Sarah slept for a few brief hours and soon it was time! 4:00 we would begin. Yesterday at 4:00 Sarah was telling me I needed to head home and now, we are just moments from delivery!
Priscilla and I readied ourselves for the last few minutes of a miracle unfolding. Sarah began to push and was so at peace, so relaxed.
Just a few more contractions, you're doing well. Breathe, push, breathe...and before I knew it I was cradling the baby's head and grasping for any non-slip surface! I held the baby up and looked into the eyes, the midwife prompted me with the question on everyone's mind except mine, "What is it?" she asked.Ah yes, glancing down to confirm a prior quiet knowledge, I proudly exclaimed, "It's a BOY!"
What more could I say after that? I was filled with such joy- a deeperkindajoy, joy indescribable. Through tears, I held my son close and whispered a prayer of blessing into his beautiful ear. He was quiet, attentive, almost motionless. And then a squirm and a powerful kick!
I gently layed him down on his mother and we smiled and giggled at each other. Priscilla said, "See what happens when you fool around!" The student nurse looked shocked but we all laughed out loud!
Each morning we have read from Psalms and Proverbs. This Monday, running late for work, I had thought to skip it but stayed to read. And today we come to the final two Psalms of Ascents. I read them aloud... Psalm 133
Psalm 134
1 Praise the LORD, all you servants of the LORD who minister by night in the house of the LORD. 2 Lift up your hands in the sanctuary and praise the LORD. 3 May the LORD bless you from Zion, he who is the Maker of heaven and earth.

4 Comments:
Joshy, you made me laugh and cry. So sweet. What a little cutie patootie you have.
ps the chili dog is disgusting!
wow, thats all I can say, except that the dog made me hungry
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Post a Comment
<< Home