Friday, May 19, 2006

Priorities & Perspective


Yesterday was a full day. We started out the morning with mothers' group. I mostly just listened because it was on starting solid foods. I have a feeling that those days are going to come up really quickly, though. My friend Alli from childbirth class was there with her sweet baby Stella, born not long after Aaron. Stella slept the whole time - lucky Alli! :-)

My sister Kate graduated yesterday, so Aaron spent the afternoon with Aunties Carissa & Beth, while I listened to 600 names be called for the liberal arts degree at Temple! Geez, big school. I'm so proud of my sister ...

Aaron has a stuffy nose with green stuff falling out of it - gross! The pediatrician told me to start putting these drops in his nose ... should be interesting.

I often get frustrated because I just don't get anything done during the day. I decided, though, that it's mostly a matter of perspective. I've been getting the laundry done, I sometimes get things picked up, sometimes I even make dinner (Josh is a better cook by far anyway) ... and then there's Aaron, Aaron, Aaron! So I guess it's ok. An adjustment. He's getting more alert, spending more time awake. He just stares and stares at things. So cute. I've picked up my baby books again. I had the same cycle with the pregnancy books: I read them, took a look at myself compared to the books, and promptly put the books away when I didn't feel like I quite lived up to them. Ha ha. I do the same with Aaron. I read all about getting him on an eating schedule, a sleeping schedule ... try it for half a day and then put the books back on the shelf. He seems to be doing alright with just doing our own thing. "Natural instincts," the books call it. I think that if God wasn't working in me, I wouldn't have many instincts except to take care of myself. I am so selfish! I see it in myself now more than I ever have before. I thought getting married was bad! Gosh. Sometimes I honestly care more about getting a shower than caring for Aaron who's crying (ok, screaming). But we're working on it ... it's a matter of priorities. I cannot be #1 in my life anymore.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bethany said...

Sarah we have all been there and felt that way. Kids sure bring out our selfish attitudes huh. The shower thing...well getting a shower means you are having a really good day. HA HA. It gets easier, but even with toddlers I still have those no shower days sometimes. PS I love the natural instinct approach, I think it is good to listen and read lots of different perspectives because there isn't one right or perfect way you gotta find what works for you and your baby and not try to fit into a mold just cause everyone else says it is the way.

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home