Kate


I thought today I'd post part of an email I got today from my sister Kate, who just left Ghana for Russia ...
"I was holding out on writing an update because I wanted to wait and say that I had successfully gotten my registration :), but it hasn't happened yet. So, just continue to pray. :) I spent Independence Day (July 4th), ironically, in the police department here in Tver trying to break through Russian bureaucracy. The system is so complicated, and my heart is stirred even more to justice for this nation after experiencing what these people go through on a daily basis in relation to their government. The way things work here is still deeply entrenched in the Soviet regime, its really incredible. When I finally got home that day from the Police Station and told my host what had happened there, he paced the house saying "the Russian government is a circus." I saw his frustration and my heart was moved ... In sincerity, things are just about worked out, we are on the last leg of legalization.
"I work in the mornings from 9am-12:30pm, and I study from 1:30-6:00pm everyday. Its busy, but I really enjoy it. My work assignments have been really fun, and provided great language experience. I have been doing editing and translating for the translation department of this firm. Its great experience. In addition, I have been given a few independent assignments. For example, I just finished an assignment last night that was to write up a food and drink directory for students at our institute. I had to research russian web sites, translate restaurant ratings, talk with people, walk in and out of restaurants to assess the autmosphere, and then type up a directory with information for current and prospective students and teachers. It was so much fun to explore the city in that way, I really enjoyed talking with people :). Bless the Lord. The whole assignment was a great stretch for my language."

1 Comments:
Cool. I was there one summer. Loved it. What all will your sister be doing? Is she in Moscow or somewhere else? I was based in Moscow but we traveled a lot. I loved St. Petersburg...art. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home